An annual well-woman exam is a vital part of self-care
The annual well-woman exam is important for women of all ages and at all life stages. During this visit, the compassionate and experienced team at Athens ObGyn will address both your general and reproductive health. Not only that, they will also discuss health screenings and any other concerns you may have.
Reproductive health is the primary focus of your annual visit
Many women associate the well-woman exam with pelvic exams and cancer screenings, but we address so much more during this appointment.
- Typically, you should expect a clinical breast and pelvic exam, but the frequency of these exams depends on your age, health and risk factors for certain conditions.
- Our clinicians may also check the lymph nodes in your abdomen, groin, neck and chest.
- During this visit, you should discuss any reproductive health concerns, including birth control options, menstrual problems, menopause and sexual issues.
Your annual exam also allows you to spend valuable time with our doctors. Doing so allows you to get comfortable with them so that you feel confident enough to bring up your health problems and intimate issues.
Our doctors also address your general health at your well-woman exam
We also use your exam time to discuss general and preventive healthcare issues. During your appointment, expect to review blood pressure, weight management, vaccines and conditions such as diabetes.
You should never hesitate to bring up mental health or domestic violence issues with our team. We can help you deal with these problems and help you find assistance if you need it.
At this appointment, we discuss various health screenings
Cervical cancer screening guidelines have changed over the past few years, so you probably won’t have a Pap smear at every well-woman exam. Instead, most women between the ages of 30 and 65 undergo co-testing every three years. Co-testing involves a Pap smear and an HPV (human papillomavirus) test.
Our doctors also discuss other vital health screenings with you during this visit.
- Breast cancer screening, including 3D mammography
- BRCA genetic screening for breast cancer for women with certain risk factors
- Bone density screening
- Screening for sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
- Diabetes screening
- Screening for depression, anxiety and other mental health problems
Your overall health and well-being benefit from an annual appointment
We know you’re busy, but it’s important to make time for your annual exam. You and your loved ones will reap the benefits for years to come. Contact us for an appointment.