Treatment for heavy menstrual bleeding improves health and quality of life
You may be hesitant to seek treatment for heavy menstrual bleeding because you think a heavy flow is normal. But trust us, it’s not! The experienced team at Athens ObGyn urges you not to ignore the problem. An excessive menstrual flow could be a sign that you have a treatable problem like fibroids, polyps or ovulation irregularities.
What is a heavy flow?
How do you know if you need treatment for heavy menstrual bleeding? The following are signs of a heavy flow.
- Lasts more than seven days
- Forces you to change your pad or tampon every hour for several hours in a row
- Requires you to wear more than one pad or wake up at night to change your protection
Treatment for heavy menstrual bleeding ranges from medication to surgery
The team at Athens ObGyn has many methods to diagnose the cause of your excessive flow and determine the best treatment for heavy menstrual bleeding.
Medications help many women’s symptoms and are often the first line of treatment.
- Certain hormonal birth control methods help lessen menstrual bleeding, regulate periods or stop bleeding altogether.
- If you are perimenopausal, hormone therapy is an option, but one that comes with some risks you and your physician need to discuss.
- Our physicians also prescribe a variety of other prescription medications, depending on the cause of your heavy menstrual bleeding.
If you don’t respond to medications or if you have fibroids, the best treatment for a heavy period may be surgery. Our highly trained surgeons perform minimally invasive and robotic surgical techniques to reduce recovery time and complications.
- If your problem is due to fibroids, uterine artery embolization (UAE) blocks the blood flow to your uterus and prevents fibroid growth. Our surgeons can also remove fibroids during a myomectomy or
- Endometrial ablation is a surgical treatment for heavy menstrual bleeding for women who have completed their families and do not want to get pregnant again.
- If other treatments don’t help with your heavy menstrual bleeding, you may need a hysterectomy to remove your uterus and stop your menstrual flow.
Athens ObGyn offers leading-edge treatment for painful, heavy periods
If you are experiencing a heavy menstrual flow, contact Athens ObGyn for diagnosis and treatment for heavy menstrual bleeding.